The supply of nutrients to crops is an important factor in the commercial production of fruits. Fertilizers replace nutrients absorbed during harvest and allow producers to manage crop nutrition for a maximum yield. Fertilization techniques also have a significant impact on the quality of harvested fruits and post-harvest life during packing and distribution operations. In order to be able to produce excellent qualities in addition to the yield target, the cultivation of soft fruits requires a balanced and sufficient supply of all nutrients.
The aim of fertilization in berry crops is a balanced nutrient supply and rapid crop development. The nutrient requirements are determined before the first fertilization measure is taken.
Granular fertilization (soil application):
The choice of the appropriate mineral fertilizer is based on the soil supply levels. Ammonium-stabilized fertilizers (NovaTec® fertilizers stabilized with DMPP) show higher yields compared to conventional fertilizers in tests lasting several years.
Fertigation (irrigation fertilization):
Especially in the case of soft fruits, irrigation is accompanied by fertilization with fully water-soluble fertilizers. In areas with high summer dryness and after repeated dry summers, fertigation becomes even more important. Clear advantages justify the increased technical effort:
- The nutrient and water supply is optimally adapted to the soil conditions, the weather, and the crop stage; thus, the yield and the quality can be improved.
- A short-term adaptation to changing conditions is possible; resulting in a demand-orientated use of water and nutrients.
- Low nutrient leaching, high efficiency of the fertilization measure.
- Supply of calcium through fertigation.
- Supply of beneficial micro-organisms through fertigation.
COMPO EXPERT offers products that are suitable for fertigation, such as water-soluble fertilizers, e.g. Hakaphos® or NovaTec® Solub and liquid fertilizers (e.g. NovaTec® 18 Fluid). Biostimulants can help the producers to achieve higher standards of production and quality (e.g. Basfoliar® Kelp SL).